Coconut Oil for Skin
Coconuts are tasty hard shelled fruits that grow on a type of palm tree. Although serious injuries might occur striking people on the head because of their solid nature, coconuts are believed to be miracles from Eden and coconut tree is referred in different cultures as "tree of life", "tree which provides all the necessities of life" or "tree of a thousand uses". They grow in eighty six tropic countries including Indonesia, Philippines, India and Brazil in the top four.
With all the benefits coconut and its parts offer, they are not only part of the daily diets of many people worldwide, but also used in healing many skin conditions. People have been using natural coconut oil for skin cure for centuries.
Edible white crystalline coconut "flesh" comes from the mature fruit. Oil and milk are extracted when the fruit dries. These two are used in the kitchen to cook and bake, but also widely appreciated by the cosmetic industry, and rightfully so.
The fruit contains rich vitamins and minerals and the solid fat found in the oil offers multitude of health benefits. In this article we will only talk about the use of coconut oil for skin.
Coconut oil has many antiseptic fatty acids that are essential for the skin in fighting various types of bacteria. Due to the presence of these acids with strong disinfectant and antimicrobial properties, this natural oil is widely used to combat and prevent numerous skin infections from microbial infections to plantar warts and athlete's foot.
Coconut Oil contains medium chain fatty acids. Thanks to the presence of these fats, coconut oil is able to maintain the moisture content of the skin. When consumed through the mouth these fats get deposited under the skin keeping it healthy and smooth, blessing it with an even tone and reducing the pores.
This very rich oil with small molecular structure is capable of seeping into the deep layers of skin therefore moisturizing it from within. This is coconut oil's most well-known benefit making it used widely in soaps, cosmetics, hair-oils, and massage oils. It also helps the skin rejuvenate by getting rid of dead skin cells. As a consequence upon application of coconut oil the skin feels smoother and flawless with a lovely glow.
Damaged Skin Tissue Repair
Coconut oil is great for soothing skin conditions like dandruff, eczema, psoriasis, and more. It’s known to help reduce chronic skin inflammation and sooth wounds. It also removes dead skin eliminating any flaky or rough texture of your skin and making room for your moisturized radiant skin to glow.
High in Vitamin E
Organic coconut oil contains the essential antioxidant vitamin E. Vitamin E is great for skin for a couple of reasons. First, it helps regulate the amount of sebum that the skin secretes. Sebum is that oily and waxy substance that lubricates and waterproofs the skin and hair in humans. Therefore this vitamin helps control the shine of the skin. It has the ability to neutralize damaging free radicals. It suppresses dryness by helping skin retain its natural moisturizers. Second, it is well-known for reducing the appearance of scars, whether they were caused by acne or other skin irritations.
Free radicals are highly unstable oxygen molecules that occur naturally, but factors such as exposure to toxins and poor dietary habits can increase their levels. They are capable of destructing cells throughout the body leading to hazardously high levels of inflammation, and also accelerating aging and a multitude of health problems. Earliest signs of free radical damage will show up nowhere but on your skin in forms of inflammation, wrinkles, dark spots and more.
Organic coconut oil naturally full of antioxidants prevents pre-mature aging of skin as it will slow down free-radicals and therefore help skin stay looking young, healthy and glowing for a much longer period of time.
Organic coconut oil is rich in proteins too. These proteins are essential to repair cell tissues. And when a cell is damaged within the skin layers coconut oil will contribute greatly to the replacement of cells. This property becomes important in healing scars and much more.
You can use coconut oil on your face including underneath your eyes, lips, body and hair. Just a small quantity goes a long way when applied on face or skin. Like this you won’t have any greasy or oily appearance, because the oil is very light and spreads over the skin easily. You can use it as is or mix it with other essential oils such as lavender, vanilla, etc.
Here are a few ways to take advantage of coconut oil for skin:
- Skin softener: Coconut oil is a very good skin softener and very effective on your dry and rough skin, hands and feet. An overnight application is usually recommended.
- Moisturizer: This miraculous oil helps retain moisture on the skin for a long time and prevent dryness. After topical application it will work for a long time without becoming rancid.
- Exfoliating oil: Coconut oil will be easily absorbed by the skin due to its molecular structure. After the application the dead cells on the skin surface become soft and easy to remove making the pores of the skin open up and resulting in a shiny radiant skin.
- Sunscreen: It has been reported that coconut oil could be used as a natural sunscreen in blocking the harmful UV rays of the sun. This natural product is very safe on skin and will not come with other side effects like other chemical sunscreen lotions.
- Anti-aging serum: As explained above thanks to the Vitamin E content regular use of coconut oil has been known to be effective on pre-mature aging and delay the aging on the skin.
- Lip balm: Coconut oil is one of the best sources to soften and heal cracked, parched lips especially during cold months. Being an edible and natural oil, unlike many chemical lip balms, it is safe even if ingested. It will not create any irritation or feeling of itchiness on the lips or on the skin around the lips.
- Makeup Remover: Ladies you can use it safely as a makeup remover, and unlike those harsh hydro-carbon chemicals, it won’t leave the skin dry or cause irritation. A few drops on a cotton disk can be applied over the face for removal of make-up naturally, easily and effectively.
- Skin medicine: Due to the presence of all the proteins and anti-bacterial properties coconut oil has been found to be very effective in the treatment of certain chronic skin ailments such as acne, eczema, psoriasis and more. It is a natural and effective way to regenerate new skin and repair damaged skin tissues. Regular application on hairs and massaging the scalp prevents dandruff and promotes healthy hair growth.
This a short list of what coconut oil can do for your skin when applied topically, wait until you learn what wonders it can create for your overall health when you ingest it along with food. With coconut oil you simply can’t go wrong.
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS BEST HEALING SUPER FRUIT?
- Which one is the perfect oil to mix with coconut oil to moisturize and kill bacteria due to dermatitis?
- What is the secret ingredient that makes coconut oil effective against acne—without the drying and flaking of over-the-counter acne cleansers?
- The important relationship between coconut oil, vitamin E and vitamin D!
- Coconut oil will cure the baby diaper rash too!
- Best ways to treat yourself to a spa-like Tropical Skin Exfoliant treatment!
- And much much more on the benefits of coconut oil in every aspect of your health